Emeritus Professor of Film Studies
BA (Econ), MA, PhD
film history, cultural memory, object-relations psychoanalysis and film theory
I took Bachelor's and Master's degrees in Sociology at the University of Sheffield and a PhD on the history of film censorship at the University of London; and embarked on an academic career in 1989, joining the University of Glasgow as a Lecturer in Film and Television Studies in January of that year. I had previously worked as a writer, lecturer and editor, including posts in publishing and television production, and for some years taught on the (then) Polytechnic of Central London's pioneering part-time Postgraduate Diploma in Film Studies, on which I had been among the first cohort of students. At Glasgow I was promoted to Reader in Film and Television Studies in 1991, and in 1998 moved to Lancaster University, where I was promoted to Professor of Film Studies in 2000. In 2006 I joined Queen Mary as Senior Professorial Fellow in Film Studies and was appointed Emeritus in 2014. I have held Fellowships and Visiting Professorships at the Australian National University's Humanities Research Centre, at Mount Holyoke College (as Fulbright Senior Research Scholar), and at Stockholm University; and in 2004 was elected Fellow of the British Academy. I have been a working editor of the journal Screen for many years.
- (edited) Little Madnesses: Winnicott, Transitional Phenomena and Cultural Experience. London: I.B. Tauris, 2013.
- (with Guy Westwell) The Oxford Dictionary of Film Studies. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2012.
- Ratcatcher. London: British Film Institute, 2008.
- (edited with Kirsten Emiko McAllister) Locating Memory:Photographic Acts. Oxford and New York: Berghahn Books, 2006.
- Family Secrets: Acts of Memory and Imagination. revised edition. London: Verso, 2002.
- An Everyday Magic: Cinema and Cultural Memory. London: I.B. Tauris, 2002. Published in the USA as Dreaming of Fred and Ginger: Cinema and Cultural Memory. New York: New York University Press, 2002.
- (edited) Alien Zone II: the Spaces of Science Fiction Cinema. London: Verso, 1999..
- (edited) Queen of the Bs: Ida Lupino Behind the Camera. Bradford-on-Avon: Flicks Books; New York: Praeger, 1995.
- Women's Pictures: Feminism and Cinema, second edition. London: Verso, 1994.
- (edited) Alien Zone: Cultural Theory and Contemporary Science Fiction Cinema. London: Verso, 1990.
- Cinema, Censorship and Sexuality. London: Routledge, 1988.
- The Power of the Image: Essays on Representation and Sexuality. London: Routledge and Kegan Paul, 1985